“Transit Timewarp: Toronto and Beyond!” is a photography project by Trevor Parkins-Sciberras, a.k.a. “Trevor the Time-Traveller.” He created his first couple of “past and present” comparisons in 2012 but it wasn’t until 2015 that his interest in local history, transit, and old photos really took off. Trevor’s goal is to make transit history more appealing to mainstream audiences and has been publishing his “Transit Timewarp” comparisons on social media for the world to see. He is also a volunteer for the Halton County Radial Railway, Ontario’s operating streetcar museum.
Here are 5 of Trevor’s historical TTC streetcar juxtapositions:
TTC Streetcars on King St. East at the Queen St. Viaduct, 1950 and 2020
Streetcar #1326 was built in 1910 by the Toronto Railway Company and was acquired by the new TTC in 1921. #1326 was the TTC’s last wood streetcar when it was retired in 1951 and the first artefact saved by the Halton County Radial Railway. 1950 photo was taken by the late Bill Bailey.
King St. facing east towards Brant St., 1954 and 2020
The first streetcars ordered by the new TTC in 1921 were the Peter Witt models, which were eventually retired from regular service in the early 1960s.
TTC streetcars on Bathurst St. heading northbound at Queen St., 1956 and 2021
The TTC introduced streamliner PCC streetcars in 1938, and the last were retired from regular service in 1995.
Streetcars on Howard Park Ave. turning southeast onto Dundas St. W., 1970 and 2021
1970 photo was taken by Bob Sandusky, one of the Founding Members of the Halton County Radial Railway.
The DUNDAS streetcar at Yonge St. in 1974 and 2020
The Brown Derby Tavern opened in 1950 at the northeast corner of Dundas & Yonge and was a very popular entertainment venue until it closed in 1974, 3 years before the Eaton Centre opened.
These last 2 images are “Timewarp Mash-ups” of the DUNDAS streetcar at Yonge Street.